Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Night of Hekate


Today at sunset starts a celebration called The Night of Hekate, where Hekate Trivia (of the three ways) is honored. This is when ancient people would hold what's known as Hekate Suppers which were held at a crossroads, and usually under the dark moon. They would leave meals for her which usually consisted of fish, eggs, cheese, garlic, and sacrificial cakes like the amphiphon, which was like a small cheesecake, surrounded by torches. Hekate Supper's were a very important ritual practice for her followers, and according to Sorita d'Este, author of Hekate Liminal Rites, this practice was extremely hard for the Christian church to get rid of.

Most of the food left for Hekate, was said to be eaten by the poor, some argue that this is how Hekate took her offerings, by letting the less fortunate have a good meal. To me this shows a compassionate side to this misunderstood Goddess.

I wrote a small poem to honor her with for tonight, and I thought I would share:

Hekate, Hekate, my Dark Mother Queen,
Goddess of Crossroads and things unseen,
On this night of the waning moon,

I create this sacred meal in honor of you.

Sorceress of night,

Lady of earth, sea, and sky,

Keyholder to the sacred mysteries,
Mistress of All,

I honor you tonight, Hekate Trivia.


Ancient Mother, please hear my prayer,
I leave this offering to you in which tonight I will share,


Hail Hekate!


I hope those of you who honor Hekate have a wonderful night!




Photo courtesy of my personal photos from Rome.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post very much and especialy your lovely poem.
    Avalon Blessings
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting information about this. I work a lot with Hekate, but had never heard of this. I will be making an offering for Her tonight. Your poem is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post! Hekate is my favorite Goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed the post :) Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely post! lovely poem! one of my patronesses
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I appreciate your support! Many blessings to you )O(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...