Saturday, February 13, 2010

Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt



The Goddess Artemis comes to us from the Greeks. She is the Goddess of the hunt and was also known as a Mother Goddess. Her worship dates back to ancient Turkey in Ephesus where there was a great temple dedicated to her that later became one of the ancient wonders of the world. Unfortunately, the only thing that remains from the great temple, is one of the 121 columns that stood there.

Artemis is the daughter of Zeus and Leto, and was also the twin sister of Apollo. She was seen as the Goddess of the hunt, fertility, virginity and childbrith, and was depicted carrying a bow and arrow. There is much discussion, that leads one to believe that the Goddess Artemis was the same Goddess as Cybele, a Mother Goddess of ancient Turkey. Cybele was known as Mother to all creatures and Lady of the Beasts.

Artemis was seen as the Great Huntress and keeper of the animals. She always had her sacred stags at her side as her hunting companions. In ancient Athens, girls approaching marriageable age, were sent to the sanctuary of Artemis at Brauron to serve the Goddess for one year. During this time the girls in servitude were known as "little she bears". This is because of the connection the Goddess Artemis has to bears. She was known in some cultures as the Great Bear Goddess.

If you would like to pray to the Goddess Artemis, here is a little invocation, which I got from the book The Goddess Path by Patricia Monaghan:

Maiden Goddess, holy one,
protector of the hills and forests,

protectors of mother's in labor,
protector of the buds of infancy,
triple Goddess, I invoke you:

Bless the trees around my home,

the ones that shade me,
the ones that screen the wind,

the ones that perfume the air.

May they protect me as you do.


How will I thank you?

When I eat meat, I will thank you.

When I eat fruit, I will thank you.

When I drink clear water, I will thank you.

Your trees will never lack for offerings,

as long as I live and breathe,
maiden Goddess, triple one,
my protector,

as long as I live and breathe.


For more information on Artemis, check out Wikipedia

Blessings )O(

1 comment:

  1. "I will be there", said my friend of a distant life
    Covered in greens of a golden age, set in stone
    "Follow me", he sounded of dreams supreme
    "Follow me"
    Drifting within the glow and the after-glow of the eve

    And if that firelight, I can match the inner flame
    Sacred ships do sail the seventh age

    Cast off your garnments of fear, replace them with love
    Most of all, play with the game of the age
    Highest of places remain all as one with you
    Giving us light and the freedom of the day

    And if that firelight, I can match the inner flame
    Sacred ships do sail the seventh age
    And I have always been here

    Celestial travellers have always been here with us
    Set in the homes of the universe we have yet to go
    Countless expansions will arrive and flow inside of us
    My friend, she of fantasy, dancing with the spirit of the age.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! I appreciate your support! Many blessings to you )O(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...